Have You Been Towed?


Z Underline 2

BUSINESS HOURS: Our office business hours are Monday through Friday, from 8a.m. to 5p.m. We are closed from 12p.m to 1p.m. for lunch and on all state holidays and weekends. Vehicles claimed after business hours, holidays, or weekends will be assessed a “Gate Fee”. Please call and inquire about the total charges on your vehicle prior to coming to claim your vehicle. If your vehicle was impounded at the order of a police agency, your vehicle may require a release from the police agency in order to claim it. Please call us to find out what is required.

VEHICLE & PROPERTY RELEASE REQUIREMENTS: CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE #22651.1: Vehicles & property are only released to the registered owner or their agent: Verifications are required with a copy retained by All Brauns. Any exceptions to this policy, or other problem, will require review and approval from management during normal business hours, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, closed 12p.m. to 1p.m for lunch. The following documents are required for every vehicle and/or property release:
Vehicle Documentation: Current Vehicle Registration, Rental Agreement for Rental Vehicle, or Other Legal Document Identifying the Vehicle Owner or Responsible Agent or Driver.
Claimant Documentation: Current Government Photo I.D., (Drivers License or Photo I.D.) Matching the Name on Vehicle Document From Above.

PAYMENT POLICY: Cash or credit card, we do not accept checks. Credit cards are only accepted from the registered owner or agent in person. Credit card payments require valid California photo ID in person. We accept Visa, MasterCard, & Discover.

YARD POLICY: Registered owner or agent allowed in the yard chaperoned by All Brauns employee. There is absolutely NO working on vehicles in storage yard. This includes (but is not limited to) installing or removing batteries, tires or wheels, electronics wired to vehicle, or any other accessories. There is a limit of 5 minutes time allowed in the yard for removing property, if you require more time, please call and make an appointment.

3rd Party


If you are NOT the Registered Owner of the vehicle, you must qualify as an “Agent” acting on behalf of the registered owner.Agents must have a letter from the registered and/or legal owner of the vehicle, which gives them permission to claim vehicle and/or property on behalf of the registered and/or legal owner. This letter must be accompanied by a government issued ID from the registered and/or legal owner. Please download our form here (3rd Party Authorization).
MM slash DD slash YYYY

Vehicle Information

Authorization Information

residing at
Max. file size: 64 MB.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Call Now ButtonCall (510) 906-8449